But clearly there are other reasons that phones in adoption agencies all across the country have been "ringing off the hook" to adopt haitian orphans as reported: here, here, here, here, here...and here, to cite just few.
All, while 129,000 kids in U.S. foster care - of a total of half a million - who COULD be adopted, are ignored.
Some reasons include:
- international adoption is romanticized and popularized by celebs
- a belief that younger children are avaulable transnationally
- a belief that they are less "damaged"
- worry about "bad blood"e.g. criminal tendencies, substance abuse, prostitution
- more exotic to speak of your child being "rescued" from a foreign orphanage than from your home city
- more chic to learn Mandarin or become familiar with African culture than to learn Eubonics or share rap music
- certainly more classy to have an expensive import than an almost totally free domestic, one that might even come with subsidies and have others wonder if you are "poor"
- more distance between you and your child's family is "safer" - avoids the possibility of a knock on your door and your kid (horrors) knowing the truth!