Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Do CAPS YELL?

Wassup with people gettng all over-sensitive or trying to deflect a debate they are loosing by claiming that you are "yelling" at them because you used caps?

If I say I really LOVE that show...am I yelling? Perhaps, but am I angry or just creating emphasis especially in formats where bold is not available?

Someone once suggested I use *asterisks at the beginning and end* of words I'd like to emphasize when I cannot bold. I have on a few occasions...but it's not as expedient as capping them, and unless I am ranting with obvious anger, why bother?

WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO TYPE IN ALL CAPS because they are too lazy to capitalize as needed? Are they "yelling"? Are the angry?

if so...are people who write in all lower case letter whispering? a respected author i know types that way all the time, including proper names etc...kinda alike e. e. cummings.

And, just today my bolding was even called to task for yelling! Oh, ooops, so was an exclamation point. Are people that sensitive and if so, is it the writer's problem? Can't we simply use common sense to distinguish flaming from passion and ASK (not yelling) and not assume one's "tone"?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I here ya, Mirah. I've been accused of YELLING when using caps. I think it's just a way of dismissing someone. "Oh, she's just yelling."

Mei Ling said...

It's actually harder to read than using small caps.

The Improper Adoptee said...

I think it is easier to read LoL. So many people have said this to me too Mirah-I get so sick of it..it is just another way to attack someone if they don't agree with their views, this strategy is immature at best, so just keep doing it to annoy them LOL-idiots-that's what I do. And I see typing in caps as being passioniate unless someone ripped someone else apart and then anger caps are warrented. Either way THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CAPS!!! :)

RussiaToday Apr 29, 2010 on Russian Adoption Freeze

Russi Today: America television Interview 4/16/10 Regarding the Return of Artyem, 7, to Russia alone

RT: Russia-America TV Interview 3/10

Korean Birthmothers Protest to End Adoption

Motherhood, Adoption, Surrender, & Loss

Who Am I?

Bitter Winds

Adoption and Truth Video

Adoption Truth

Birthparents Never Forget