- “Not every child will be better off adopted than in long-term foster care or guardianship.” (p.37).
- “Not everyone believes that adoption is of great value to children and American society.” (p.41).
- “Adoption foes are gaining greater attention as they argue that adoption is a cause of trauma to children and birth parents and that both experience irreparable harm from their separations.” (p.41)
- “Our profession is called to prioritize family preservation and permanency in child welfare.” (p.165).
- “Neither foster care nor adoptions services should be used merely because they provide a convenient choice in a difficult situation.” (p.167)
- “The needs and rights of adoptees to know their birth origin should be recognized and respected.” (p.170).
The bad news? The NASW and social workers do not make adoption policy and never have. Noe does the CWLA who has set "guidelines" for ethical practices. All adoption experts were against sealed records form the very beginning and said so and were ignored!
The sad reality? Adoption is no longer under any control by social workers or any government regulation, other than that which regulates any business (read commerce)!
Acknowledgment: My gratitude to Harry Kuhn, MSW for locating these quotes which help support and further our cause.